Update (after receiving the fire):
1. The Kindle Fire fits very snugly, much better than my 3G, so that makes me happy. But you don't need to wrench on it by any means to get it in the case, the screen isn't in any danger, at least not in mine.
2. The hand strap is convenient and comfortable
3. At first I thought it was weird that the strap favored left handed people, then I realized that if you spin the kindle 180 degrees, it does either, power to the ambidextrous.
4. The extra weight of the fire over my 3G also proves the stand system to be better than I originally suspected. I shook the table a bit to see if the fire would slide or fall while upright, but it held in place more than well enough for any bumps or shakes a table might get under normal conditions.
5. Don't get me wrong, it's still an expensive case, but I at least feel somewhat better about it. In the absence of other alternatives, it's probably better than nothing. Ultimately, it feels protected.
6. I'd upgrade it to 3.5 STARS but I still hesitate to give it four because of the price.